South East Asia is filled with cultural diversity. Enter a new world of cultural experiences. From great cuisines full of spices to ancient temples filled with history - we’ll help create a personal travel itinerary based on your personal choices. Not to mention South East Asia’s enchanting tropical coasts and modern cities, that’ll make your journey inspiring.
Where is South East Asia?
Let's start with the basic questions, where on the map is South East Asia? Bordered by the Indian Ocean on the West and the Pacific Ocean on the East, it’s separated into two regions- the mainland and the maritime region. The mainland (Indochina) is a combination of countries, including Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam.
Whereas the maritime region covers Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, the Philippines, Brunei, East Timor, and the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Now that you’ve gotten familiar with the region let's do an analysis into the finer details.
Choosing a travel location.
Choosing a satisfactory travel destination may become an overwhelming task, especially when there are so many options available- we’ll help choose the best opportunities available to you so you have all the information to make this important decision. Your first step is to check the circumstances. Are you travelling alone? Is it a family vacation? What's your budget? How do you find the right hotel or accommodation? Coming up with a list of travel criteria is essential, especially when you’re travelling as a group.
Try to map out rough guidelines determining your travelling style by asking yourself these important questions. When creating this itinerary, you’ll find out whether you have a more flexible schedule that is open to quick changes or stricter schedules which complement hotel and transport bookings.
Another tip that’ll prepare you is to pay attention to the seasons at which you visit your preferred locations. Review which times are especially busy, and try to avoid time arrangements that collide with substantial crowding.
Popular tourist locations in South-East Asia.
Let’s look at some ideal destinations in South-East Asia that catches the eyes of tourists. In this section we will go through some of the very famous countries among tourists and their most beloved cities.
Up first, Myanmar. This golden destination is with sandy beaches and Buddhist temples. If you’re about to go on a pilgrimage, Myanmar is peaceful, enlightening and relaxing. Shwedagon Pagoda in Myanmar is a popular tourist attraction famous for its ancient relics.
Cities in Myanmar that attract tourists include,
- Yangon: Recognised as a captivating blend of tradition and modernity. It is also known for its historic sites and bustling markets and colourful cultural landmarks.
- Bagan: This city present a magical landscape that captivates the hearts of travellers. The beautiful site of vivid hot air balloons floating in the sky during the sunrise, adds a touch of charm to the experience.
- Mandalay: With its royal palace, nearby attractions, unique floating villages and the Inle Lake Mandalay offers a calm view.
A trip to Laos is different to previous landscapes and sceneries. Huge mountains cover the region, with the most favourable method of transport being by boat. The Mekong River goes through the area with flowers along the riverbeds. Laos offers several cities that attract tourists. Some of these include,
- Luang Prabang: This is a UNESCO World Heritage site, which is known for its well-preserved architecture, ancient temples, and a peaceful atmosphere. The city's night market, surrounded by beautiful temples, is a popular spot for visitors.
- Vientiane: Expresses a blend of French colonial architecture and traditional Buddhist temples. The serene riverside setting and attractions like Patuxai Monument and Pha That Luang make it a destination worth exploring.
- Vang Vieng: Nestled between stunning karst land and the Nam Song River, Vang Vieng is famous for outdoor activities like tubing, rock climbing, and hot air ballooning.
- Savannakhet: They have a Dinosaur Museum here for anyone to explore! Also the relaxed atmosphere can draw travelers interested in history and culture.
Last on the list Cambodia. Its capital city, Phnom Penh, despite being home to gold temples, “Royal Palace” and ‘Silver Pagoda”, is also a historical remnant of a darker period of Cambodian history. Visit the places that educate the public about Cambodia’s past.
Cambodia boasts several cities that attract tourists with their rich history, stunning architecture, and cultural treasures. Here are some notable ones:
- Siem Reap: Home to the iconic Angkor Wat temple complex, Siem Reap is a major tourist hub. Visitors come from all over the world to explore the ancient ruins, carved temples, and immerse themselves in Khmer culture.
- Phnom Penh: It features historical sites like the Royal Palace and the Killing Fields, providing insights into Cambodia's past. The riverfront area, and vibrant street food scene adds a special touch!
- Sihanoukville: A coastal city known for its beautiful beaches and tropical islands, Sihanoukville is a favorite among beach enthusiasts. It's a gateway to the stunning islands of Koh Rong and Koh Rong Samloem.Thailand
is a spell-binding destination for enthusiastic tourists. This due to its stunning beaches, rich culture, and vibrant cities. For example, visiting the ancient city of Ayutthaya lets travelers explore historical ruins and immerse themselves in the country's heritage.
However, many tourists flocks here to explore its rich cultural heritage, and nature. With statues of Buddha displaying the traces of the attacks along with bare brick layouts of temples- Ayutthaya has an ancient descent, acting as a reminder of past conflict
If you want to experience Thai cuisine, authentic Chiang Mai cooking classes are available for booking. Chiang Rai neighbours Chiang Mai with an approximately 3-hour bus ride. Here, in the White Temple- the beautiful structure is completely white.
Why is travel research important?
Research is important when travelling anywhere, especially when travelling to a foreign country. After booking flights, hotels and transport, you will need access to a reliable internet connection. A smartphone or any other device that has a strong wifi connection will get you out of difficult situations. Especially if you encounter sudden cancellations, want to make international calls or just can’t find that perfect noodle restaurant, staying in touch with the virtual world is insanely beneficial!
Benefits of travelling to South-East Asia with an eSIM
Making hotel and transport bookings are done mostly online; if you are thinking about making a new booking at the moment, you’ll need a reliable internet connection that's fast and flexible. With VOX Mobile’s eSIM Singapore, booking hotels and transport will be quick and easy! Checking online reviews and searching for tourist hotspots will be extremely easy with our fast and reliable 5G roaming coverage. With packages costing as low as 1SGD/day combined with 150+ destinations- your travel schedule will be safe and secure.
Is getting an eSIM that easy?
You may be on the lookout for SIM cards at airport kiosks or local vendors; however, taking a different approach to solve this problem may be easier. With the introduction of eSIM technology, time-consuming trips to search for physical sims are completely eliminated! The eSIM is basically a SIM card with added benefits that target the tourists. Complete with budget-friendly data bundles; the process just requires you to scan a QR code once purchased.
With that, these are just a few locations and activities available for you when visiting South East Asia. Although we haven’t mentioned all the destinations, we hope this guide helps you with your journey to South East Asia. By taking all the tips and tricks into consideration and with careful planning, you’ll be totally ready to embrace a new travel lifestyle!